Friday, November 9, 2007

Nearly 6 Weeks

Unbelievably, our son is approaching 6 weeks of life. How can that be possible? It has gone by so fast, with so much happening in that short time. He's grown and learned and discovered so much. As have I. It's amazing how much love we have for thissquatty needy little man. I am constantly taken aback by it. When he cries in the night, and I wake thinking, aw crap, it only takes me long enough for my eyes to crest the side of his bassinet to be just beaming with love and excitement that I get to pick him up. I love everything about him. I love howbeautiful he is. I love it when he poops. I love it that he can rival his dad in the gas passing department. I love how he smells (still like love and warmbiscuits with honey, but also sometimes like cheese). I love snuzzling the little curdy folds in his neck. I love that he hides lint in his armpits. I love that he trusts me, even when I have to let him cry a minute to go to the bathroom. I love his new little sounds. I love it when he sleeps. I love it when he looks in my eyes and smiles at the light in them. It must take so much effort for him to make a smile happen on purpose, and he does that for me. I love talking to him about what a great burp that was, or how we're going to wash the dishes now. I love that he can be calmed without fail by the vacuum, inexplicably. I love that he loves the outdoors. I love it when he sleeps on me all heavy and sweaty. I love his breaths. Oh, and the sneezing.Every time he sneezes I believe it's love.

This week I put the first of his clothes away because he outgrew them. It made me sad. Not because he's growing, but because so many people who love him never got to see him brand new like that. That is a tragedy to me. He was such an amazing newborn, and he'll never be that again. He's an amazing infant too though, and hopefully all you who love him will get to meet him while he's an infant, even though that still feels long overdue. So, I had to put away his funny littlecorduroy overalls, and some of his 1st onsies , because they're too small for my big old boy. And now he's wearing some 3-6 month outfits, which are a little loose, but not so much so that they look too big. It's shocking. Slow down life! Slow down.

I took him to see his first movie yesterday. It was really just so I could get out and do something normal. Our friend Christa and I went to the $2 theatre and saw hairspray. He did really well, and it was fun to get out. We're getting out of the house on most days. We go walk in the park with a few different friends. We go to a new mom's class on Fridays. And we go to the library. Also, we go out to eat with Dad a lot. For example, he's not 6 weeks old yet, but today he went to our favoriteMexican restaurant for the 6th time. They're talking about making him the restaurant's mascot.

We're really starting to find our groove. I'm feeling more able to meet his needs, and it seems that he is figuring out what this life on the outside is all about. We both still have our moments, but we're getting better at working it out together. It's all about being creative and flexible. Sometimes we both just need a change of scenery.

I have also been able to make some pots again. It's weird because I'm used to just cranking pots out and working 14-18 hours a day. Well, those days are gone obviously. But I am able to get things made in little spurts. Here we are in the new indoor throwing room:
Here are some more recent photos. He's so alert these days. Just look at those beautiful bright eyes, taking it all in.

3 comments:

Kolby and Kalebs Mom said...

You guys look like you are doing great. I can't wait to see you in just 3 short days (even though that still seems like an eternity!). Give him a big hug for me! See you soon!

Melanie said...

He is so precious I can't even stand it!

Kelly said...

Eli has more hair than Eric ... although, someone seriously needs to p'shop Eric's facial hair onto him.