Sunday, August 26, 2007

Jessa the potter

Hello my name is Jessa and I am a potter.

Ahhhh, finally, I can say that again. It has been almost 4 months since I threw a pot - and I was beginning to worry I wouldn't remember how, but yesterday I threw my first batch of pots in Denver. Fabulous news - I can still do it!

Here are a few shots of the Denver studio and me pottin' in it:

The wheel with packing table behind it. Tommy made a shorty-sized packing table for me while he was here. Can't wait to use it!

Work table, spray booth and glaze area.

Look at me go! Yay for potters potting!

A few things are different in my new potting experiences. First off - Denver is DRY. I started throwing around 4 pm yesterday, and the things I threw were dry enough to trim and put handles on by 8 pm. In Asheville I would leave everything out overnight and would still have some drying time the next day before they were ready. I'm going to have to pay close attention to pots as they dry so I don't miss the trimming window. It'll take some adjustment.

Next - being 35 weeks pregnant can hinder your productivity considerably. Normally, as excited as I was to be working, I would work for 10 hours straight. That's not possible while housing a five pound person in your body. I tired out much quicker and got super sore. So, I'll have to take it slow, listen to my body for when it's wearing out, and stay hydrated - but I'm so happy to be potting again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, a potter and her pots. You look so happy. Just love all that you guys are doing to your place. Hope to visit sometime this Fall to see young Mr. Smith and of course, his Mom & Dad.

Kolby and Kalebs Mom said...

It's great to see you back doing that which you love! I can only imagine what it is like to do that when you are pregnant. Take care!!