Monday, September 10, 2007

To everything, turn turn turn, there is a season, turn turn turn.


And the season for turning is now! Our boy has successfully, if not gracefully, flipped!

So my week of hanging upside down on the plank was for naught. We tried our best, but that didn't budge him. We went in today and looked at him on ultrasound and he was exactly in the same spot. So a verting we went. The doc decided to have us move over to the hospital for the procedure since she had two c-sections in the works, so we walked across the street and were admitted. It was an eerie dry run for what's coming. I was admitted, put in a labor room, gowned, i.v.'d, and monitored.

The procedure was quite dramatic and fascinating. Just before they were to start they gave me trebuteline through my i.v. to relax my uterus. It, as warned, made me shake and made my heart race. It took effect within a minute and then my midwife and doc went to work. They basically surrounded his head with their hands and manuevered it from the top of my belly to the bottom. I could feel exactly where he was moving and though it was quite uncomfortable, I found it absolutely fascinating to experience. There was a third person in there watching his hear beat on ultrasound to make sure he was doing ok. And Eric was rubbing my feet while they tugged. The whole thing lasted about 3 minutes, and the whole time they were celebrating how well it was going. The nurse described it as the "silkiest" version she'd ever seen. It didn't feel too silky on my end, but I could tell it was working and I was elated. Eric said it was horrifying to watch, and I was glad I couldn't see what was happening, because it felt like something out of a science fiction movie.

After it was completed, they kept monitoring us both for another half hour and then discharged us with a perfectly placed, head down baby.

Thank all of you for all your happy flipping wishes! Now, change gears and think non-flippy thoughts, because after all this he could still flip back to where he was. I can't see how that would be possible, considering the amount of force it took to turn him this way, but I'm told it can happen.

So, now we wait on him to tell us it's time to come out. How exciting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOHHHHHHhhhhhhh gosh....oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh oh goshohgosh!!! I'm glad you both (and eric) are doing alright and are in the correct positions! I'm sending you non-flippy vibes and well wishes! Love!!!! Jodieeeee

Kolby and Kalebs Mom said...

Yeah!!! I am sooo glad that everything went as desired!!! We love you guys very much and will be praying for you over the next few weeks!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello cutie-pies! Glad things are going well in Colorado! I miss you three! I need your address...:) love you!