Friday, September 21, 2007

What's Going On?

There's not much to report on the baby front. As of today we're 9 days away from the due date, and while there are lots of signs that labor is impending (contractions, sleeplessness, nesting), none of them suggest that we should cancel dinner plans, or anything like that. Jessa's taking the opportunity to try to get one more order made before he comes--mostly she spends her days making mugs at this point.

I (Eric) am 2 weeks into school, and loving it. We're on the quarter system, so I'm only taking two classes. One is one of the core courses required for all PhD students, Theories and Methods in the Study of Religion. That one's a very theory-heavy course--we're reading all the heavyweights, and class is basically a 3 1/2 hour discussion with a ten minute break. After that class, my brain feels a lot like what my body feels like after a half marathon. It's sheer exhaustion, and you know that you were definitely not in control most of the time, but somehow it feels good. Each of us has to choose a book from a list titled "books you should have read by now but probably have not" (I have read 0 of 34). I chose one from the list based on the fact that it has an interesting title; it turned out to be well over 400 pages. Brilliant.

My other class is called Women in Early Christian History, and it's sort of a look at canonical, apocryphal, and pseudepigraphal early Christian writings and their depiction of women (and how those depictions might or might not correspond to reality). Even though Biblical Studies isn't really my field, it fits my interests in the first couple of centuries of Christianity. It's a very big class, which isn't great, but I'm excited about writing the paper for it.

The major drawback to starting classes is that I now only have one day off a week--Saturday. I'm working Fridays now (if you can call blogging "working").

Be sure to stay tuned...only 9 days until the due date!

No comments: