Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Latest


Here's the latest: Jessa's almost fully dilated...it's within "a sliver." The plan is to do what's called passive labor for about another hour, which basically means let the uterus do the pushing for you. That should move him further down the line, and make the pushing effort that much easier. There is now widespread consensus that he should come before the next nursing shift change (7pm Mountain Time). We're already on our third nurses' shift, so this would be welcome. Our current nurse is a force of nature and we love her, and we don't want to switch again.

Due to (inexplicable) popular demand, here is a photograph that includes me. My job for the first 17 hours or so was labor coach...massaging, breathing help, etc. But once the epidural came around, I lost my job. So I switched to blogging and ice chip dispensing. Ice chips are at this point the only thing Jessa is allowed to eat (they cut her off from the popsickles), so I sit by her bed and feed them to her with a spoon.

So now you know.

I don't know how many more updates there will be...the next post may be a birth announcement. Of course, we've now been at the hospital for 23 hours, so we've said that several times before.

16 comments:

Kolby and Kalebs Mom said...

Keep hanging in there. We are all thinking about you guys.

Kolby and Kalebs Mom said...

By the way, you look GREAT!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay! An update! You're both doing GREAT! I'm so excited for you guys!!!! (by-the-way, I am now constantly refreshing my computer at home....ahhhh, comforting not to have actual customers to bother me! "Go Away! Can't you see I'm busy sending my friends good energy!" The audacity of people wanting money from their bank accounts when I'm busy refreshing my friends' blog every minute! hmph!) He! He! Love!

Anonymous said...

Hey Christa! ;)

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I am refreshing your blog while talking to Chirsta on the phone! So we're both sending you guys love! ;)

Anonymous said...

Chirsta says she is purposfully not feeding her kids now because she is sitting by the computer!!! HA!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've made it home from work. I had a long meeting with a student, at which point I was prentending to listen while reading this last post. Thanks for the update. You guys look great. I'm sending all of the well wishes and positive energy that I can muster. Wow...a baby...in two more hours! Amazing. -SJH

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! I can't wait to hear more news! I am so proud of you, Jessa! Oh - and you, too, Eric. :)

Anonymous said...

WOWSERS!!! AWESOME!!! Love to you both!!

Anonymous said...

we love you both. keep up the good work. Susan is bummed you beat her record for being in labor, but Henry is looking forward to having a friend who lives in Mountain Time.

Anonymous said...

Are you in there little fetus?
In 9 months will you come greet us?
I will buy you some addias...SJH

Anonymous said...

ok now I am refreshing your page while laying in bed on Marcs new iPod touch....seems like your new little item is way cooler though! Oh, I keep getting butterflies thinking about you guys! Bless your heart Jessa! I hope you are okay! You must be so tired! I'm sending you hugs!

Viki Matson said...

this is my last check before bedtime. I hope there is happy news first thing in the morning! Sorry you guys can't go to bed!
viki

Anonymous said...

We're thinking about you.-SJH

Sunny B. Ridings said...

Come on baby! Come on baby! Go baby go! Go Eric but most of all- go Jessa!!

Anonymous said...

Jessa, you're the strongest woman I know.